Before starting your search, make sure you have a clear understanding of your business needs, such as your budget, desired location, and required space size. This information will help you narrow down your options and make the search process more efficient. Once you’ve defined your high level requirements, consider these 5 steps:
- Online Listings: Start by searching commercial real estate websites that feature office and industrial spaces. Rofo.com and CityFeet have listings for Alameda and the surrounding areas. Use filters to refine your search based on your requirements, such as size, price, and location.
- Local Brokerages: Reach out to local commercial real estate brokerages specializing in office and industrial spaces in Alameda. Firms like Colliers International, Cushman & Wakefield, or CBRE have agents who can provide valuable insights and help you find the right property. Additionally, consider contacting local brokerages in Alameda that may have more intimate knowledge of the local market.
- Networking: Tap into your professional network to get recommendations for available office and industrial spaces in Alameda. Your contacts may have direct experience or know someone who can help you find suitable properties.
- Local Economic Development Organizations: Reach out to local economic development organizations, such as the Alameda Chamber of Commerce or the City of Alameda Economic Development Division, for guidance and assistance in finding office and industrial spaces. They may have resources or contacts to help you in your search.
- Drive Around: Physically explore the Alameda area and look for “For Lease” signs on commercial properties. This method can help you identify potential spaces that may not be listed online or are new to the market.
Lastly, give yourself plenty of time. Many companies will use an entire year to conduct a search to find the right space. This largely depends on your requirements and the market. But it can be time consuming.